Relationships and Sex Education RSE Policy
Parent Consultation Summer 2021
In Summer 2021 we undertook a consultation with all parents, inviting their views on our RSE Policy, which will apply across all key stages at Haverstock School from September 2021, in line with requirements from the Department for Education (DfE).
In June 2019, the DfE published “Relationships education, relationships and sex education (RSE) and health education” (June 2019). This guidance:
- Makes it compulsory for all schools to have an RSE Policy and to consult parents and carers in the development of that policy;
- Sets out the topics that need to be taught to students by the end of secondary schools; and
- Makes changes to the right of parents or carers to withdraw their child from the elements of sex education that are not taught as part of the compulsory national science curriculum.
These and other topics are covered in our RSE Policy and RSE Curriculum. The new requirements formalise expectations but don’t make significant changes to what we teach our students. Many of the topics required by the DfE were already taught as part of our Personal, Social and Health Education (PSHE) curriculum, and in other subjects.
In addition to consulting parents and carers on our RSE Policy, our staff have also been engaged in the development of our RSE Policy and Curriculum, as appropriate and in line with good practice recommendations.
The development of our new curriculum reflects:
- Our values of making sure our students feel safe, valued and happy who understand the importance of equality, inclusion and respect for all students and communities;
- Our students’ age and maturity levels, as well as their cultural and religious backgrounds;
- What students need to know to be healthy and safe in school, in their personal relationships and in the wider world
This consultation was published here on our website, where parents and carers were invited to submit responses by the deadline of 16 July 2021.
The consultation is now closed and we will shortly publish our updated policy. Thank you to all who responded.